The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as the ‘Relaxing Breath’ is said to promote a better night’s sleep, with just 5 steps and can be done anywhere and everywhere. There are also reports that it can get you to sleep in as little as 1 minute!
Based on an ancient Indian practice, Pranayama, which stands for “regulation of breath” this exercise, eases the body into a state of relaxation and calmness. Dr Andrew Weil developed this technique as a variation to Pranayama.
For Your Consideration
– Thoroughly read all instructions before commencing any technique or exercise.
– Understand any potential contraindications, problems or side effects that may be highlighted.
– Make an informed decision based on your past and current physical, emotional and mental state about the appropriateness of the technique, exercise or activity.
– If you have any concerns about the technique, exercise or activity then do not attempt.
Avoid this method if you have any of the following:
– heart disease
– a serious medical concern
The Technique: 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
Make a whoosh sound by exhaling completely through your mouth.
Shut your mouth and quietly inhale through your nose, counting mentally to 4.
Hold your breath for 7 seconds
Exhale by making a whoosh sound again, for a count of 8.
Repeat this cycle another 3 times, so in total for 4 breaths.